Week 4 Blog

Week 4 Blog – Exploring Magic School AI

Figure 1
Screenshot of the PHET Equality Explorer simulation (University of Colorado Boulder, n.d.).


Part 1 & 2

I gave Magic School AI my standard, 7.A.1.1: Identify a relationship between two varying quantities, x and y, as proportional if it can be expressed in the form y/x = k or y = kx; distinguish proportional relationships from non-proportional relationships (Oklahoma State Department of Education, 2023). I asked it to create a lesson using the PHET Equation Simulator while connecting to the ISTE Standards for Students and Kolb’s Triple E Framework.

The AI system produced a clear outline describing what students and teachers should do. It attempted to include rigor but, like many AI-generated lessons, remained vague. The content aligned with the standard but lacked specific examples. Detailed step-by-step instructions and example problems would enhance this lesson plan and make it more practical for classroom use.

The Magic School AI Lesson Plan Generator is an excellent tool for generating ideas and getting started. It provides a strong first step, especially for new teachers. However, it should be used cautiously, keeping in mind the depth of knowledge students need to achieve and the expectations for mastery. 

The generator recognized the need for different levels of independence but did not connect new content to prior knowledge, as emphasized in our readings on memory and learning processes. The motivation section fell short, offering pencil-and-paper activities that lacked engagement. However, the extension encouraged creativity and student ownership, even if it felt disconnected from the main lesson. Overall, the lesson encouraged independence but needed a more substantial flow and stronger connections between its parts.

Magic School Lesson Plan Link

Lesson plan outline generated by Magic School AI (MagicSchool, Inc., 2024), customized with the Oklahoma standard 7.A.1.1.

Figure 2
Screenshot of the Magic School AI tools page (MagicSchool, Inc., 2024).


Part 3: Reflection

Magic School Presentation Generator Link

Next, I used the Presentation Generator tool and applied what I’ve learned about AI prompt writing, focusing on standards, motivation, rigor, and the need for an answer key. The tool followed my directions and created several practice problems. However, it did not combine question types or increase complexity. The issues remained low-level but could serve as a foundation for a more rigorous lesson.

Magic School AI has its flaws, but it serves as an excellent springboard for ideas. It is invaluable when teachers need quick inspiration or sample material, but it requires thoughtful editing to reach classroom-ready quality. This tool could be handy for new teachers developing their planning skills with guidance and context.

My school introduced Magic School AI during a professional development session hosted by the Oklahoma State Department of Education. Many colleagues experimented with it and found both benefits and challenges. Some appreciated its convenience, while others noted the need for more customization and familiarity to use it effectively.

In my classroom, I use AI tools responsibly. For example, I use ChatGPT to brainstorm STEM projects and draft parent emails, and Grammarly to refine my writing. I also teach students how to use Photomath appropriately—as a learning aid rather than a shortcut. We frequently discuss the proper use of AI and academic integrity. After speaking with professors at the U.S. Naval Academy, who share a similar perspective, I realized how essential it is to prepare students to use AI effectively and ethically.

The Guidance and Considerations for Using Artificial Intelligence in Oklahoma K–12 Schools emphasizes protecting student data, maintaining transparency, and ensuring teacher oversight when using AI in education (Oklahoma State Department of Education, 2024). This reinforces the importance of verifying FERPA compliance and understanding data privacy policies before introducing any tool to students.

AI is becoming a permanent part of education. Students must learn to use it responsibly, critically, and ethically. Tools like Magic School AI can be powerful resources when combined with professional judgment, thoughtful planning, and awareness of privacy and learning standards.


References

Oklahoma State Department of Education. (2023). Oklahoma academic standards for mathematics: Grade 7. https://sde.ok.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/OAS-Math-2023.pdf

Oklahoma State Department of Education. (2024). Guidance and considerations for using artificial intelligence in Oklahoma K–12 schools. https://sde.ok.gov

University of Colorado Boulder. (n.d.). Equality Explorer [Interactive simulation]. PHET Interactive Simulations. https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/equality-explorer

Comments

  1. I agree it is a great launching point! I did find it lacked some things I would like to have seen. For example, I like to include class discussions. I find that this brings out even more ideas. There was not much of that in the generated lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Magic School AI is a great tool for a "springboard". I feel I could go to it with my own ideas to let it refine and perfect before attempting with students. I am excited to see how I can continue to use it moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a great point about how these tools can spark ideas but still need the teacher to add depth, context, and connections to prior learning. I also agree that engagement is key; without that, even a well-aligned lesson can fall flat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Blog

Week 2 Blog

Week 3 Blog